For hikers, athletes
Are you sure you want to start alone? If you want to go on a guided tour with a qualified guide, find out about our animation programs, where you will also find guided tours!
Before you start on your own
The color of the tourist signs
We distinguish 4-color markings, which are indicated by the initials of the color on the maps.
- blue: K
- red: P
- yellow: S
- green: Z
|Road Type||Signal||Pictogram||On Map|
|Main roads||lane||K, P, S, Z|
|Connecting roads||cross||K+, P+, S+, Z+|
|Roads to the top||triangle||K▲, P▲, S▲, Z▲|
|Side roads||square||K◼, P◼, S◼, Z◼|
|Road to a spring||circle||K●, P●, S●, Z●|
|Roads to the cave||omega||KΩ, PΩ, SΩ, ZΩ|
A detailed Mátra tourist map can be purchased at the campsite!
For hiking, download the hikers app and save your favorite routes offline!
Round tours from Mátra Kemping
not to have to sit in a car…
|Time interval (hours)||~1 hour||~2 hours||~3.5 hours||~5 hours|
|Hiking distance||-5 km||5-8 km||8-12 km||16 km|
|Level difference||0-600 m||800-1200 m||1400 m|
About Mátra in a nutshell
- It is part of the inner, volcanic zone of the Carpathians
- The highest peak in Hungary, Kékes (1014.1 m) rises here
- With the exception of smaller Triassic limestones, the main mass of the Mátra is of volcanic origin
- Pleasantly cool summer with lots of rainfall.
- The hottest month of the year is July.
- The temperatures on the peaks are often higher than in the valleys.
- The Mátra is an excellent snow place, so it is one of the centers of winter sports in Hungary.
- The larger rivers of the Mátra: the Zagyva and the Tarna - flow on the edge of the mountains.
- There are nearly 500 water sources, but their water flow is low.
- The flow of streams is therefore typically low.
- However, care must be taken when melting snow and heavy rains because precipitation will fall down quickly and suddenly.
- 75% of the Mátra area is covered by forest.
- Going upwards, the vegetation changes: we reach the zone of wooded steppe, then closed oaks, and finally beeches.
- The pine here is not native, it was artificially planted.
- It is rich in large game (deer, roe deer, mouflon, wild boar, fox, wildcat).
- Rare species of the smaller predators also live here: weasels, bunnies, ermines, badgers.
- There is a ferret and an otter in the waters of Mátra.
- You can often encounter a squirrel jumping from branch to branch.
- The bird world is mainly represented by songbirds.
- Watch out for bears! Small numbers of brown bears migrate from Slovakia to Nógrád and Heves counties. The bear is a highly protected species in Hungary! ( Further information )
|Jelzés: S+, S, SL||Táv: 3 km, ▲106m, ▼106 m||Idő: 55 perc||Nehézség: könnyű|
|Jelzés: S+, P●, S+, S, S+||Táv: 4.2 km, ▲157m, ▼157 m||Idő: 1 óra 29 perc||Nehézség: könnyű|
|Jelzés: S+, S, S▲||Táv: 5.8 km, ▲167m, ▼657 m||Idő: 2 óra||Nehézség: könnyű|
|Jelzés: S+, S, S+||Táv: 7 km, ▲211 m, ▼211 m||Idő: 2 óra 30 perc||Nehézség: könnyű|
|Jelzés: S+, P●, Z, Z+, S◼, S▲, S+||Táv: 11.3 km, ▲316 m, ▼316 m||Idő: 3 óra 55 perc||Nehézség: közepes|
|Jelzés: S+, S, P, S, S+||Táv: 10.7 km, ▲351 m, ▼351 m||Idő: 4 óra||Nehézség: közepes|
|Jelzés: S+, P, K, P, Z, P, S, S+||Táv: 17.1 km, ▲743 m, ▼743 m||Idő: 6 óra 15 perc||Nehézség: nehéz|
Ask at our reception for more routes!
Here are some of the places to visit
- Sástói kilátó
- Kékestető Adótorony és kilátó
- Vörös-kő kilátó, Mátraszentimre
- Galya-kilátó, Galyatető
- Kozmáry-kilátó, Mátrafüred
- Hanák Kolos kilátó
- Muzsla tető, Mátrafüred
- Rákóczi forrás
- Szent László forrás, Mátraháza
- Ördög forrás, Mátrafüred
Additional sports facilities
There are many geocaching crates nearby. For example Sástó Kilátó, Oxygen Adrenalin Park, Muzsla-tető, Hanák Kolos Kilátó. Find them!
Download to your phone from the App Store or Google Play.
Some thoughts worth using
- It relieves joints
- It improves our endurance
- Strengthens muscles
- It improves the body's oxygen supply
Information and routes: https://kekesteto.hu/turautvonalak-bicikliseknek/
If required, we can also organize small group bike tours with car transport. With a maximum of 15 participants.
If required, we can also organize small group mountain runs with car transport. With a maximum of 15 participants
Small group program with a qualified tour guide with a maximum of 15 participants.